Sunday, December 6, 2009

Truffle Experiment Take 1

Why is it every recipe involving chocolate requires math skills? I am testing out Martha Stewart's truffle recipe, which came highly recommended, for a work holiday party and subsequent giving during Christmas. Shhhh, it's a secret.

8 oz best-quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 c heavy cream
1 T liqueur
Unsweetened cocoa powder for rolling

Put chocolate into a large heatproof bowl. Bring cream just to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; pour over chocolate in bowl. Stir in liqueur, if desired. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand 10 minutes. Stir until smooth. Let stand until thick, about 15 minutes.Pour chocolate mixture into a shallow 8-inch dish or pie plate. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until mixture is very cold and set but still pliable, about 30 minutes.Using a teaspoon or a 1/2-inch melon baller, scoop balls of chocolate mixture, transferring them to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper as you work. Refrigerate truffles 10 minutes.Using hands dusted with cocoa powder, dip each truffle in cocoa powder to coat, then quickly shape truffle into a rough round. Refrigerate truffles in an airtight container until ready to serve, up to 2 weeks; before serving, reshape into rounds, and roll each truffle in cocoa powder, if desired.


I'm going to alter her recipe to fit my devilish desires of interestingly flavored chocolate. This is the part I'm not sure will come off. But first, the math test:

I went to Fairway and bought a few Maragda 70% cacao chocolate bars. There are two bars in each package. Each bar has 12 squares, so 24 squares in a package. The two bars combined (one package) weigh .88 lb. If I'm doubling the recipe and need a full pound (or 16 oz) of chocolate, how many squares should I be cutting up?
Look, I even showed my work: 24 squares = .88 lb
.88 lb x 16 oz = 14.08 oz
14.08 oz / 24 squares = .58 oz per square
16 oz in a lb / .58 oz per square = 27.58 squares to make up 16 oz of chocolate

Now, to further complicate things, I want to try out 3 flavors and leave one control truffle plain (minus the liqueur which I generally don't like). So, in order to get the right proportions, I'm going to cut up each batch of chocolate separately. 27.58 squares / 4 batches = 6.89 squares per batch. Phew!

I'm going to try and flavor the 1/4 c heavy cream in each of the four batches with something interesting (minus the control truffle) or a liqueur like creme de menthe. I even read one reviewer who melted down Andes and formed them into truffles.

Mint
I've gleaned that a bunch of mint leaves in the hot cream should do the trick. You could also use mint extract or creme de menthe. I read a comment on Cooking for Engineers that someone melted down Andes, which sounds great to me. D thinks the fresh mint won't be enough to make the chocolate minty, but that's why this is an experiment.

Ancho Chile and Cinnamon
I have dried ancho chiles and cinnamon sticks to heat in the cream.

Cardamom and Coffee
We love the cardamom coffee at Hampton Chutney Co. So, we thought a couple tsp of instant coffee plus cardamom pods would work well.

Now, on to the experiment!


No comments:

Post a Comment